Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Easy Chocolate Marshmellow "Mousse"


Today I'm back with another one of my 12 recipes for the Duncan Hines challenge! First off, I'm not really sure this tecnically "qualifies" as a mousse. Traditional mousse can be tricky to make and requires a little more then I'm willing to do. But it's light, it's fluffy, it' chocolate, and it's in a little glass, so I'm calling it a chocolate mousse!

When it came to using the chocolate marshmellow flavor packet, I was kinda stumped. I knew everybody was going to go right to s'mores or hot chocolate, and who doesn't love those things? But I wanted something not just like everybody else. So I mixed the flavor packet into the Duncan Hines icing and I was really suprised how good it was, you really could taste the chocolate and the marshmellow. The family seemed to want to eat it right out of the jar...so I thought why not just alter it a little? I guess serving icing in a jar just isn't good enough, psh ;).  I whipped up some cream beat it in and it was perfect! Smooth, light, easy, and soooo yummy. Then the ah ha! moment came..I'll add in some pretzels to add some salty to the combo. Needless to say, I loved the end result.


Ready to whip up some of these to share with the family? (or just hide it well and eat it all yourself, I won't tell ;) really) I was able to make about 10 of these in my 5oz  dessert glasses. But yours will depend on the serving size.

Here's what you will need:

1 packet of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Chocolate Marshmallow Flavor Mix


1 can of Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter

1 pint heavy whipping cream

2 cups of pretzels

small dessert glasses or bowls

Metal mixing bowl

Metal wisk of stand or hand mixer

Step 1: Put metal mixing bowl and wisks of stand or hand in freezer until nice and cold.

Step 2: While bowl is freezing, crush pretzels in bowl or ziplock bag, save a few to top if you'd like!

Step 3: Pour whipping cream in cold bowl, beat on high with cold wisks until peaks form. Set aside about  1 cup to top desserts.

Step 4: Mix flavor packet into canned icing.

Step 5: Slowly add icing into whipping cream beating in between.

Step 6: Add crushed pretzels to the bottom of small dessert bowls or glasses.

Step 7: Pipe or spoon in choclate mousse on top of pretzels.

Step 8: Top with set aside wipping cream, and pretzels if you'd like. The set aside cream will not be too sweet, but it blends well with the very sweet mouse. If you would like to sweeten it up add in a bit of powdered sugar.

 
Nice easy peasy chocolate "mousse". I think these would make great dinner party desserts!
 
Have you made something inspired by MBC? Post a picture on our facebook page and I'll add it to our album!
 
Happy Baking!